Tom Baker’s seventh and final season as the Fourth Doctor will come to Blu-ray when Doctor Who: The Collection — Season 18 is released in February (at least, in the UK — news of a U.S. release should be forthcoming).
Tom Baker’s final year saw the programme undergo radical changes in front of the cameras and behind the scenes. Producer John Nathan-Turner revamped the series with new writers, new directors, a new title sequence and theme arrangement, glossy production standards and – throughout the course of the season – a brand new regular cast. Over seven classic adventures the Doctor and his companions encountered the Foamasi, Meglos, the Marshmen, vampires and Tharils, building to a final deadly showdown between the Doctor and his arch nemesis the Master. As a special bonus this set also includes the 1981 K9 & Company Christmas pilot episode, plus hours of brand new material.
Starring alongside Tom Baker are Lalla Ward as Romana, Matthew Waterhouse as Adric, Sarah Sutton as Nyssa, Janet Fielding as Tegan, Anthony Ainley as the Master, Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah-Jane Smith and John Leeson as K9.
Season 18 stories on the Blu-ray include:
- “The Leisure Hive” (4 episodes)
- “Meglos” (4 episodes)
- “Full Circle” (4 episodes)
- “State Of Decay” (4 episodes)
- “Warriors’ Gate” (4 episodes)
- “The Keeper Of Traken” (4 episodes)
- “Logopolis” (4 episodes)
- Plus “K9 & Company – A Girl’s Best Friend’
All material has been remastered for Blu-ray by Peter Crocker and Mark Ayres. Lee Binding has provided stunning packaging and new series writer/content consultant Pete McTighe has written another extensive booklet. Russell Minton is executive producer of the set.
Special Features exclusive the Doctor Who: The Collection — Season 18 set include:
- A new Making-Of documentary and updated special effects for “Logopolis”
- Revealing new 2019 commentaries moderated by Matthew Sweet (Tom Baker on “The Leisure Hive,” Lalla Ward and Rachel Davies on “State Of Decay”)
- Surround sound mix for Warriors’ Gate
- Rare behind-the-scenes footage from “The Leisure Hive,” “Full Circle” and “Logopolis”
- Eight more editions of Behind The Sofa
- Band new documentaries The Writers Room and Weekend With Waterhouse
- A new interview with “K9 & Company’s” Ian Sears
- Another dip into the Panopticon convention archives with Tom Baker
- HD photo galleries plus scripts, production files and rare documentation provided as PDFs
- The eight-disc box set also includes hours of extensive special features previously released on DVD
Baker’s first season as the Doctor was the first of the 1963-89 series to come to Blu-ray this year, followed by Season 19, which saw Peter Davison take on the role as the Fifth Doctor and immediately follows this new Blu-ray release of Season 18 in contin-Who-ity.
SPECIAL THANKS ARE IN ORDER:
Discuss Literary Adventures at the Facebook group 'For the Love of All Things Edgar Rice Burroughs'