Its launch date is still a mystery (though less so), but Star Trek: Discovery just got a bit more real with the release of the first official character images and action shots (edit: and trailer!) from the CBS/CBS All Access series.
In the initial still, we see Michelle Yeoh and Sonequa Martin-Green as Capt. Philippa Georgiou and First Officer Michael Burnham exploring a strange, new world, equipped for a harsh environment with goggles, robes and what look a lot like classic Starfleet communicators and tricorders. Scroll down for a gallery of more images released Wednesday, and watch the trailer below.
Before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise there was Discovery. Now, one of the most iconic and influential global franchises returns to television with Star Trek: Discovery. The CBS All Access Original Series arrives this Fall.
The series has also been expanded to a 15-episode first season, according to CBS, and will have an “after show,” Talking Trek, presumably in the style of Chris Hardwick’s Talking Dead.
In addition to Yeoh and Martin-Green, the Star Trek: Discovery cast includes Jason Isaacs as Capt. Lorca, James Frain as Sarek of Vulcan, Doug Jones as alien science officer Lt. Saru, Anthony Rapp as fungus-specialized science officer Lt. Stamets, Rainn Wilson as scoundrel Harry Mudd, Mary Wiseman as Starfleet cadet Tilly, Sam Vartholomeos as Ensign Connor, Maulik Pancholy as Dr. Nambue, Terry Serpico as Adm. Anderson, Shazad Latif as Lt. Tyler and Rekha Sharma as Cmdr. Landry.
Officers from the USS Discovery and a ship called USS Shenzhou appear in the series.
Kenneth Mitchell, Clare McConnell Dennas, Damon Runyan, Chris Obi, Mary Chieffo appear as a corps of Klingon characters, who cleave to the newer look for the species established in Star Trek Into Darkness.
More Star Trek: Discovery news:
- More cast announced for Star Trek: Discovery, which is still allegedly coming sometime …
- Sonequa Martin-Green finally confirmed as Star Trek: Discovery’s star, First Officer Michael Burnham
- Rainn Wilson to play Star Trek scoundrel Harry Mudd on Discovery
- Jason Isaacs cast as Star Trek: Discovery’s Captain Lorca
- Star Trek: Discovery adds to growing cast
- A brief first look behind the scenes of Star Trek: Discovery
- James Frain joins Star Trek: Discovery cast as Spock’s father Sarek as filming nears, launch date slips
- Buzz an Enterprise or three in immersive Star Trek 360 video
- Meet the Klingons of Star Trek: Discovery
- Star Trek: Discovery casts Doug Jones, Michelle Yeoh, Anthony Rapp
- Michelle Yeoh has a part to play in Star Trek’s future
- Bryan Fuller disembarks day-to-day Discovery duties; Switch in time; Denver Comic Con cosplay constraints
- Stella cartography: Meet the dog with a higher Star Trek: Discovery security clearance than you
- Star Trek: Discovery premiere moved back to May 2017
- Female human lead, pre-Kirk era confirmed for Star Trek: Discovery
- Star Trek beyond 50: Final Frontier forever out of reach for small hands