Jon Pertwee’s Third Doctor goes HD
Get ready to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!
Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 10, featuring five stories from Third Doctor Jon Pertwee, will be released on Blu-ray July 8 in the UK — the day after what would have been the actor’s 100th birthday. (“A tear, Sarah Jane?”)
U.S. (Region 1) viewers will have to wait until Oct. 15 for their version to go on sale, but it’s already on pre-order at Amazon. (Link supports this site but is not a paid placement.)
Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 10 includes the following stories from 1972/73:
- “The Three Doctors”
- “Carnival of Monsters”
- “Frontier in Space”
- “Planet of the Daleks”
- “The Green Death”
This is the earliest Doctor Who series to be given the Blu-ray upgrade treatment. Fourth Doctor Tom Baker’s first and last seasons and Fifth Doctor Peter Davison’s first season are all that have been remastered and released so far.
Official product description:
“In 1973, Doctor Who celebrated its tenth anniversary with a very special story reuniting the first two Doctors – William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton – with Jon Pertwee’s then-current Doctor. “The Three Doctors” kicks off an explosive, colourful series of adventures across all of time and space as the Doctor and Jo Grant (Katy Manning) encounter the rogue Time Lord Omega, the terrifying Drashigs, the noble Draconians, fearsome Ogrons, deadly Daleks and slithering giant maggots. Season 10 also includes the final appearance of Roger Delgado as the Doctor’s arch nemesis The Master, plus adventures alongside Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart (Nicholas Courtney) and UNIT.
“Starring alongside Jon Pertwee are Katy Manning, Nicholas Courtney, Roger Delgado, Richard Franklin and John Levene.
“With all episodes newly remastered from the best available sources, this Blu-ray box set also contains extensive and exclusive special features which include:
- A brand new feature-length documentary examining the Third Doctor’s Era, with archival contributions from Jon Pertwee, Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks plus all-new interviews with Katy Manning, Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, presented by Matthew Sweet.
- Updated special effects and surround sound mix for “Planet of the Daleks.”
- Five new installments of “Behind the Sofa,” featuring Katy Manning, Richard Franklin (Captain Yates) and John Levene (Sergeant Benton), along with 21st century Doctor Who panel Phil Collinson (Producer/Executive Producer), Pete McTighe (Writer) and Joy Wilkinson (Writer).
- “Looking for Lennie,” a documentary investigating the life of director Lennie Mayne.
- “Keeping up with the Jones,” which sees Katy Manning with Stewart Bevan (Cliff Jones) pay a return visit to the Welsh locations from “The Green Death.”
- Plus: a repeat omnibus of “The Green Death” unseen since Christmas 1973, rare Panopticon convention footage, Blu-ray trailer, HD photo galleries plus scripts, production files and rare documentation provided as PDFs.
- The six-disc box set also includes hours of extensive special features previously released on DVD including two episodes of The Sarah Jane Adventures that saw Katy Manning’s Jo Jones meet the Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith).”
The Season 10 Blu-ray announcement featured Jo Jones nee Grant (Katy Manning) filming “Keeping up with the Jones,” a special “sequel” to “The Green Death”: