To mark its 20th year of original Doctor Who audio adventures, Big Finish Productions is announcing another set of commemorative stories for 2019 that will span many eras of the long-running sci-fi program.
Six hourlong stories under the “Legacy of Time” banner will bring characters from all ends of Doctor Who history together (some for the first time), including crossovers between the show’s original 1963-89 era and the new television era that started in 2005.
“The Legacy of Time” will be released in July 2019 to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Big Finish’s first Doctor Who release, “The Sirens of Time.” It will be available as a digital download, of course, and also as a limited edition, eight-disc set of CDs.
“In July 1999 we released ‘The Sirens of Time.’ In July 2019 we’re releasing ‘The Legacy of Time’,” said Big Finish chairman and executive producer Jason Haigh-Ellery, “Those two decades have been so fulfilling for us at Big Finish — a chance to work with so many great and talented actors, writers, productions crews and all of our friends at the BBC. This is a celebration of it all, with lots of surprise returns and references. Think of it as one massive Doctor Who party — and everyone is invited…”
Executive producer and one of the founders of Big Finish, Nicholas Briggs, added: “The Legacy of Time will probably go down in Big Finish history as our biggest, most exciting production, ever! Celebrating 20 years of Doctor Who at Big Finish, it expertly pulls together all the strands from our many and varied Doctor Who ranges.
“Quite simply, this is going to blow people’s minds! It’s got everything!”
Producer David Richardson chimed in: “’The Legacy of Time’ is quite possibly the biggest Doctor Who story we have ever told at Big Finish. It’s been so hugely satisfying to make – I hope everyone finds it just as satisfying to listen to!”
Big Finish provided the descriptions and promotional artwork you see here:
“Time is collapsing. Incidents of temporal chaos and devastation are appearing throughout the many lives of the Doctor and his friends – fallout from one terrible disaster. The Doctor must save history itself – and he will need all the help he can get.
The truth is revealed, and it will take more than one Doctor to save the day!”
“The Legacy of Time” will consist of six hourlong episodes:
- “Lies in Ruins” by James Goss
- “The Split Infinitive” by John Dorney
- “The Sacrifice of Jo Grant” by Guy Adams
- Episode four by Matt Fitton (to be confirmed)
- “The Avenues of Possibility” by Jonny Morris
- “Collision Course” by Guy Adams
Professor River Song (Alex Kingston) meets her predecessor, another time-travelling archaeologist, Professor Bernice Summerfield (Lisa Bowerman). Kate Stewart (Jemma Redgrave) travels back in time to classic UNIT and meets the Third Doctor (voiced by Tim Treloar) and Jo Grant (Katy Manning).
As 2019 is also the 30th anniversary year of their first appearance in Remembrance of the Daleks, the Counter-Measures team will be reunited with the Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) and Ace (Sophie Aldred). And the Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker) and his companion Charlotte Pollard (India Fisher) once again meet Detective Inspector Patricia Menzies (Anna Hope) in a police procedural like no other!
Plus we go to Gallifrey, and elsewhere we enter the Time War. Doctors will meet, and there will be Easter Eggs aplenty.
The “Legacy of Time” cast includes:
- Tom Baker
- Peter Davison
- Colin Baker
- Paul McGann
- Sylvester McCoy
- Alex Kingston
- Lisa Bowerman
- Sophie Aldred
- Simon Williams
- Pamela Salem
- Karen Gledhill
- Hugh Ross
- Tim Treloar
- Katy Manning
- Jemma Redgrave
- Ingrid Oliver
- India Fisher
- Anna Hope
- Lalla Ward
- Louise Jameson
More Big Finish <em>Doctor Who</em> news from Nerdvana:
- The late John Hurt’s War Doctor ‘Begins’ anew with new star at Big Finish
- Fifth and Sixth Doctors round out monthly Big Finish releases in early 2021
- Tom Baker to star in new Doctor Who: Time Lord Victorious audio drama ‘Genetics of the Daleks’
- Davros and the Daleks vs the Time Lords
- Free Doctor Who: John Hurt’s War Doctor audio debut
- Doctor Who’s original spinoff star returns for new audio adventures with David Warner
- Destination Nerva: Experience Tom Baker’s Big Finish audio debut for free
- Tom Baker and David Tennant team up against the Daleks for Doctor Who: Out of Time
- River Song and K9! Doctor Who’s wife to meet his robot dog
- Christopher Eccleston will play the Ninth Doctor again
- New companion for Tom Baker’s Fourth Doctor audio series
- Doctor Who audio drama confronts real demons of H.P. Lovecraft and his legacy
- ‘Shadow of the Daleks’: Peter Davison’s Fifth Doctor meets Time War terrors …
- Doctor Who’s ‘Scary Poppins’ returns
- Time Lord tyrant Rassilon regenerates into Richard Armitage for Doctor Who audio spinoff