To mark its 20th year of original Doctor Who audio adventures, Big Finish Productions is announcing another set of commemorative stories for 2019 that will span many eras of the long-running sci-fi program.
Six hourlong stories under the “Legacy of Time” banner will bring characters from all ends of Doctor Who history together (some for the first time), including crossovers between the show’s original 1963-89 era and the new television era that started in 2005.
“The Legacy of Time” will be released in July 2019 to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Big Finish’s first Doctor Who release, “The Sirens of Time.” It will be available as a digital download, of course, and also as a limited edition, eight-disc set of CDs.
“In July 1999 we released ‘The Sirens of Time.’ In July 2019 we’re releasing ‘The Legacy of Time’,” said Big Finish chairman and executive producer Jason Haigh-Ellery, “Those two decades have been so fulfilling for us at Big Finish — a chance to work with so many great and talented actors, writers, productions crews and all of our friends at the BBC. This is a celebration of it all, with lots of surprise returns and references. Think of it as one massive Doctor Who party — and everyone is invited…”
Executive producer and one of the founders of Big Finish, Nicholas Briggs, added: “The Legacy of Time will probably go down in Big Finish history as our biggest, most exciting production, ever! Celebrating 20 years of Doctor Who at Big Finish, it expertly pulls together all the strands from our many and varied Doctor Who ranges.
“Quite simply, this is going to blow people’s minds! It’s got everything!”
Producer David Richardson chimed in: “’The Legacy of Time’ is quite possibly the biggest Doctor Who story we have ever told at Big Finish. It’s been so hugely satisfying to make – I hope everyone finds it just as satisfying to listen to!”
Big Finish provided the descriptions and promotional artwork you see here:
“Time is collapsing. Incidents of temporal chaos and devastation are appearing throughout the many lives of the Doctor and his friends – fallout from one terrible disaster. The Doctor must save history itself – and he will need all the help he can get.
The truth is revealed, and it will take more than one Doctor to save the day!”
“The Legacy of Time” will consist of six hourlong episodes:
- “Lies in Ruins” by James Goss
- “The Split Infinitive” by John Dorney
- “The Sacrifice of Jo Grant” by Guy Adams
- Episode four by Matt Fitton (to be confirmed)
- “The Avenues of Possibility” by Jonny Morris
- “Collision Course” by Guy Adams
Professor River Song (Alex Kingston) meets her predecessor, another time-travelling archaeologist, Professor Bernice Summerfield (Lisa Bowerman). Kate Stewart (Jemma Redgrave) travels back in time to classic UNIT and meets the Third Doctor (voiced by Tim Treloar) and Jo Grant (Katy Manning).
As 2019 is also the 30th anniversary year of their first appearance in Remembrance of the Daleks, the Counter-Measures team will be reunited with the Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) and Ace (Sophie Aldred). And the Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker) and his companion Charlotte Pollard (India Fisher) once again meet Detective Inspector Patricia Menzies (Anna Hope) in a police procedural like no other!
Plus we go to Gallifrey, and elsewhere we enter the Time War. Doctors will meet, and there will be Easter Eggs aplenty.
The “Legacy of Time” cast includes:
- Tom Baker
- Peter Davison
- Colin Baker
- Paul McGann
- Sylvester McCoy
- Alex Kingston
- Lisa Bowerman
- Sophie Aldred
- Simon Williams
- Pamela Salem
- Karen Gledhill
- Hugh Ross
- Tim Treloar
- Katy Manning
- Jemma Redgrave
- Ingrid Oliver
- India Fisher
- Anna Hope
- Lalla Ward
- Louise Jameson
More Big Finish <em>Doctor Who</em> news from Nerdvana:
- Big Finish releases trailer for Ninth Doctor Adventures: Ravagers
- Tom Baker’s Doctor Who ‘Lost Stories’ get new life as audio dramas
- Doctor Who monthly audio adventures end with epic star power
- Star Wars fighter ace sounds off in Doctor Who spinoff Torchwood
- Story details for Christopher Eccleston’s return to Doctor Who
- Big Finish confirms it’s recording Russell T. Davies’ lost Doctor Who script with Colin Baker
- New audio adventures explore Blake’s 7 beginnings beyond the Liberator
- ‘Lost’ 1970s TV Doctor Who script adapted as full-cast audio drama
- There’s a new Dodo on deck in Doctor Who audio dramas
- Tom Baker marks 10 years with Big Finish Doctor Who line
- Penultimate Big Finish Doctor Who monthly release brings Fifth Doctor and Turlough full circle
- New details on Doctor Who’s Lone Centurion audio spinoff
- Third Doctor meets Cybermen as Big Finish upgrades Doctor Who audiobooks
- River Song and K9! Doctor Who’s wife meets his robot dog
- Doctor Who teases ‘Return of the Cybermen’ revamp