Fantasy roleplaying games. Star Wars. Nintendo classics. Doctor Who.
These are a few of our favorite things. Yours, too, judging from a look at the most popular posts on Nerdvana for 2019.
We’ve been refocusing a bit on these very topics lately, so it comes as no surprise that’s what’s driving our traffic. Although the comic book store owner’s arrest on suspicion of murder kinda came out of nowhere, we’ve covered hard news like this before and will doubtless do so again.
Let’s take a quick look back at the year’s most-read content, starting at the top:
- Aug. 24: Rick Loomis, influential game designer and publisher, dies – This is a sad one, of course, but I’m glad we were able to draw some attention to the fundraiser for Rick’s family. The Scottsdale man was a true pioneer in tabletop roleplaying and card games and will be missed by many after his 2019 passing.
- Nov. 14: Mesa comic shop owner charged with murder, aggravated assault – See above. We’re still checking on the status of this case, BTW.
- Aug. 25: Castlevania screenwriter teases Season 2 Blu-ray, ‘radical’ new approach for Season 3 – The Netflix animated series based on the classic NES game is popular with you discerning guys and gals.
- July 23: Where is the Star Wars Resistance Blu-ray? – DVD, but no Blu-ray? Disney+ also came along in 2019 to shake things up in this regard.
- June 23: D&D Essentials Kit an evolution and expansion of 5E Starter Set – not necessarily a replacement – A lot of you were interested in this new 2019 introductory set for the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game. Roll for initiative!
- Aug. 9: EXCLUSIVE: Big Finish’s Doctor Who Short Trips ‘Decline of the Ancient Mariner’ cover revealed! – Big Finish Productions gave us the scoop on this ’70s-style Doctor Who audio adventure.
- Aug. 27: Xbox Game Pass: 14-day free trial – There’s still time to snag this deal (and throw a few pennies our way to help fund the site).
- Jan. 31: Game over: Nintendo Wii Shop Channel closes for good – We covered this one since the long goodbye for Nintendo’s pioneering online service was announced, right up until The End in early 2019.
- Nov. 7: David Bradley’s First Doctor returns to Skaro in new Doctor Who audio production – The original Doctor is seeing a lot of action these days, with new adventures starring the people who played their actors in a 50th anniversary docu-drama …
- July 31: The Hunger Games prequel: 5 things we know about the book and movie so far – Readers were hungry for this pitch submission about a new Suzanne Collins book set in the dystopian future world of Panem.
Thanks for your support in another amazing year! With 2019 fading fast, let’s make it a great 2020!
Don’t miss the latest from Nerdvana:
- 2020 Hugo Award finalists announcedThe finalists for the 2020 Hugo Awards have been announced.
- Python’s Palin narrates Torchwood audio adventureAnd now for something completely different, as Monty Python’s Michael Palin enters the world of Doctor Who spinoff Torchwood …
- ‘Together Again’: Ahsoka discovers Pyke spice mastermind in Star Wars: The Clone WarsAhsoka discovers the identity of the mastermind behind the Pyke spice operation in “Together Again,” a new episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- LEGO announces launch date, opens pre-orders for the Super Mario setYou can now pre-order the LEGO Super Mario Adventures set.
- Kirkpatrick says Air Force targets Davis-Monthan for bulk of A-10 cutsThe Air Force plans to retire 42 A-10 aircraft at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson next year, according to a state lawmaker, a move that would cut the base’s fleet of the storied “Warthogs” in half.
- Big Finish releasing free weekly audio dramasBig Finish will be releasing a different free audio drama from its back catalogue, every Monday, starting with Doctor Who: The War Doctor – The Innocent.
- April 5: Happy First Contact Day!For Final Frontier explorers, April 5 holds a different special significance.
- ‘Overwhelming’ demand on first day of $349 billion small-business aid programBanks and small businesses reported an overwhelming volume of calls and some confusion Friday as the Small Business Administration launched the first phase of the $2 trillion economic stimulus package in the face of COVID-19.
- In era of COVID-19, virtual reality could change how world plays, consumes sportsVirtual reality could provide fans and spectators with experiences previously thought only possible at in-person events.
- Star Wars animated short shows the power of fast friendsRey and Finn make an unstoppable team whether they’re escaping the First Order or facing Kylo Ren.
Nerdvana may earn a small share of sales made via links from this article.
SPECIAL THANKS ARE IN ORDER:
Discuss Literary Adventures at the Facebook group 'For the Love of All Things Edgar Rice Burroughs.'Trademarks TARZAN®, TARZAN OF THE APES®, JOHN CARTER OF MARS®, DEJAH THORIS®, PELLUCIDAR®, A PRINCESS OF MARS® and EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS® are owned by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.