Fantasy roleplaying games. Star Wars. Nintendo classics. Doctor Who.
These are a few of our favorite things. Yours, too, judging from a look at the most popular posts on Nerdvana for 2019.
We’ve been refocusing a bit on these very topics lately, so it comes as no surprise that’s what’s driving our traffic. Although the comic book store owner’s arrest on suspicion of murder kinda came out of nowhere, we’ve covered hard news like this before and will doubtless do so again.
Let’s take a quick look back at the year’s most-read content, starting at the top:
- Aug. 24: Rick Loomis, influential game designer and publisher, dies – This is a sad one, of course, but I’m glad we were able to draw some attention to the fundraiser for Rick’s family. The Scottsdale man was a true pioneer in tabletop roleplaying and card games and will be missed by many after his 2019 passing.
- Nov. 14: Mesa comic shop owner charged with murder, aggravated assault – See above. We’re still checking on the status of this case, BTW.
- Aug. 25: Castlevania screenwriter teases Season 2 Blu-ray, ‘radical’ new approach for Season 3 – The Netflix animated series based on the classic NES game is popular with you discerning guys and gals.
- July 23: Where is the Star Wars Resistance Blu-ray? – DVD, but no Blu-ray? Disney+ also came along in 2019 to shake things up in this regard.
- June 23: D&D Essentials Kit an evolution and expansion of 5E Starter Set – not necessarily a replacement – A lot of you were interested in this new 2019 introductory set for the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game. Roll for initiative!
- Aug. 9: EXCLUSIVE: Big Finish’s Doctor Who Short Trips ‘Decline of the Ancient Mariner’ cover revealed! – Big Finish Productions gave us the scoop on this ’70s-style Doctor Who audio adventure.
- Aug. 27: Xbox Game Pass: 14-day free trial – There’s still time to snag this deal (and throw a few pennies our way to help fund the site).
- Jan. 31: Game over: Nintendo Wii Shop Channel closes for good – We covered this one since the long goodbye for Nintendo’s pioneering online service was announced, right up until The End in early 2019.
- Nov. 7: David Bradley’s First Doctor returns to Skaro in new Doctor Who audio production – The original Doctor is seeing a lot of action these days, with new adventures starring the people who played their actors in a 50th anniversary docu-drama …
- July 31: The Hunger Games prequel: 5 things we know about the book and movie so far – Readers were hungry for this pitch submission about a new Suzanne Collins book set in the dystopian future world of Panem.
Thanks for your support in another amazing year! With 2019 fading fast, let’s make it a great 2020!
Don’t miss the latest from Nerdvana:
- Super NES’ Donkey Kong Country comes to Nintendo Switch OnlineDonkey Kong Country is swinging from your Super NES memories to the Nintendo Switch Online service this month.
- Game On Mega Drive In slotted into Game On Expo 2020 weekendGame On Expo 2020 may be canceled, but that doesn’t mean organizers are pressing pause on everything. On July 3, they announced the new “Game on Mega Drive In” event at WestWorld of Scottsdale, 16601 N. Pima Road, for the same weekend the expo would have occupied, Aug. 8-9: “The Game On Mega Drive In […]
- Scooby-Doo teams up with Elvira, Bill Nye against Batman’s ScarecrowElvira, Bill Nye, Batman’s Scarecrow … what doesn’t “Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo!” have?
- Saboten Con joins list of canceled 2020 eventsSaboten Con 2020 is canceled; the next event is now scheduled for Sept. 3-6, 2021, at the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown.
- Phineas and Ferb return in ‘Candace Against the Universe’ Aug. 28 on Disney+Candace Against the Universe expands the Phineas and Ferb universe on Disney+.
- ‘Solo’ joins Star Wars movie library on Disney+ July 10Solo on Disney+? Punch it, Chewie!
- Castlevania: Journey Through the YearsExplore the Castlevania mythos with us …
- Star Trek: Lower Decks release date, starship revealedMeet the starship Cerritos, coming Aug. 6 to CBS All Access in Star Trek: Lower Decks.
- The new FPS Valorant is a big esports hit in Arizona schoolsValorant, the new first-person shooter from Riot Games, has made a big splash among the esports scene in Arizona.
- Game releases: Star Wars racer, Ninjala, Jump Rope Challenge and moreHere’s a look at new and upcoming video game release dates.
Nerdvana may earn a small share of sales made via links from this article.