The Coen brothers’ remake of the classic 1969 John Wayne film, True Grit, hits so many right notes it’s impossible not to like. The direction is steady and deliberate, yet never heavy-handed or forced. The movie’s greatest asset, however, is the impeccable script. The only term I can use to describe it is “melodic” and even that doesn’t do it justice. While the Coen brothers have made a name for themselves as filmmakers, this movie showcases their incredible writing ability. Creating an almost other-worldly language, True Grit is filled with perfectly crafted dialogue competently delivered by the impressive cast. Jeff Bridges as U.S. Marshal Rooster Cogburn and Hailee Steinfeld as 14 year old Mattie Ross steal the show. Their characters are so life-like it makes you forget they are actors in a movie. Matt Damon does a wonderful job in his more subdued role as Texas Ranger, LaBoeuf and Josh Brolin is adequate as murderer Tom Chaney. Aside from a rather rushed and abrupt ending, True Grit is a quality film. It’s unthinkable that it didn’t receive a single Golden Globe nomination! Read the full review here.
You may also like
About the author
An avid reader, freelance writer, content strategist and traveler, Dustin Diehl is a longtime Nerdvana contributor with sources placed deep in the heart of the Star Wars universe. No Bothans died to bring you this information.
- Phoenix Fan Fusion 2022, Friday, May 27, All Day, Phoenix Convention Center, Phoenix
- Phoenix Fan Fusion 2022, Saturday, May 28, All Day, Phoenix Convention Center, Phoenix
- Phoenix Fan Fusion 2022, Sunday, May 29, All Day, Phoenix Convention Center, Phoenix
- Free RPG Day 2022, Saturday, June 25, All Day, ,
- Studio Ghibli Fest 2022: The Cat Returns, Sunday, June 26, All Day, ,