It’s safe to say that the Star Wars universe is officially in overdrive.
David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, creators of the TV series Game of Thrones, are writing and producing a new series of Star Wars films, Disney announced Tuesday — films that will be separate from the “episodic” entries and Rian Johnson’s upcoming new trilogy.
“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, in a statement. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”
Game of Thrones creators Benioff and Weiss added in a joint statement: “In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since. We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”
No release dates have been set.
On an earnings call Tuesday, Disney CEO Bob Iger said the collaboration has been in the works for some time, and will focus on a particular, unspecified “point in time in the Star Wars mythology,” according to The Hollywood Reporter. He also said “a few Star Wars series” are in development for Disney’s upcoming over-the-top streaming app.
The next big-screen Lucasfilm release, Solo: A Star Wars Story, releases May 25 and has just begun its promotional push. Episode VIII — The Last Jedi is expected on Blu-ray, DVD and digital soon. Rebels is getting set to wrap up its four-season run on Disney XD.
Get more Star Wars news from Nerdvana:
- Last Shot novel unites Han, Lando across Star Wars eras this April
- New series of Star Wars films coming from Game of Thrones creators
- Solo promotion begins: What kept you, flyboy?
- Solo: A Star Wars Story posters show ‘new’ Millennium Falcon, name Emilia Clarke’s character
- Solo: A Star Wars Story trailer teased during Super Bowl, debuts on GMA
- More Star Wars ‘Legends’ characters set to re-enter Disney’s universe
- Snoke’s secret past also leaves an opening to tell young Ben Solo’s story
- Father, Son, Daughter: Mortis, other Clone Wars mysteries return for Star Wars Rebels’ last act
- The Emperor is coming here? Ian McDiarmid reprises role when Star Wars Rebels’ 4th and final season picks up Feb. 19
- Solo synopsis teases a scoundrel-filled Star Wars Story
- 8 little things you may have missed in The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi – The Force is strong with this one …
- Nerdvana’s 2017 holiday gift guide: RPG edition
- Nerdvana’s 2017 holiday gift guide: Star Wars books edition
- Thrawn comic preview: First contact, so artistically done …