Disney and Lucasfilm have set May 24, 2019, as the release date for Star Wars: Episode IX, and July 10, 2020, for the fifth Indiana Jones movie.
The announcement of the release date for both films was made Tuesday.
Colin Trevorrow is directing the final film in the third Star Wars trilogy. Episode VIII — The Last Jedi, directed by Rian Johnson, will be released Dec. 15 this year. Episode VII — The Force Awakens also was a December release, as was Rogue One: A Star Wars Story; Episode IX will represent a return to summer releases for the franchise.
Episode VIII will be the last to feature Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia; the character is not slated to appear in Episode IX in either filmed or digitally re-created form. Fisher died late last year after completing her scenes for The Last Jedi.
Steven Spielberg will return to direct Harrison Ford in Indy’s next great adventure.
More Star Wars news:
- LEGO Star Wars Terrifying Tales now streaming on Disney+
- Disney+ opens The Book of Boba Fett on Dec. 29, 2021
- Here is your Disney-approved Star Wars books canon
- Classic Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic coming to Nintendo Switch
- Disney releases Star Wars: Visions anime anthology
- Prepare yourself: KOTOR is actually being remade
- Disney+ debuts trailer for LEGO Star Wars Terrifying Tales
- Star Wars: The High Republic: Tempest Runner audio original’s cast revealed
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga delayed again to spring 2022
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian returns with a good Luke at Season 2 finale