Disney and Lucasfilm have set May 24, 2019, as the release date for Star Wars: Episode IX, and July 10, 2020, for the fifth Indiana Jones movie.
The announcement of the release date for both films was made Tuesday.
Colin Trevorrow is directing the final film in the third Star Wars trilogy. Episode VIII — The Last Jedi, directed by Rian Johnson, will be released Dec. 15 this year. Episode VII — The Force Awakens also was a December release, as was Rogue One: A Star Wars Story; Episode IX will represent a return to summer releases for the franchise.
Episode VIII will be the last to feature Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia; the character is not slated to appear in Episode IX in either filmed or digitally re-created form. Fisher died late last year after completing her scenes for The Last Jedi.
Steven Spielberg will return to direct Harrison Ford in Indy’s next great adventure.
More Star Wars news:
- Aspyr bringing Star Wars: Republic Commando to Switch, PS4
- These Star Wars stamps are the droids you’re licking for …
- Open-world Star Wars video game in development
- Light of the Jedi shows a bright Republic rising before Star Wars’ dark times
- Cavan Scott’s Rising Storm to follow Light of the Jedi in Star Wars: The High Republic
- Special edition ‘Light of the Jedi’ may blow your socks off
- More Star Wars manga adapted from book material on the way
- A look at IDW’s Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures comic books
- Batuu comes to virtual reality in Star Wars: Tales From the Galaxy’s Edge
- ‘So cute!’ Excitement builds with time-bending LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special trailer