“I’m here to talk to you about the Avenger Initiative.”
At the end of 2008’s Iron Man, when Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) surprised Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) and comic book fans around the world with that grandiose concept, I don’t think anyone really thought the filmmakers could ever pull off that feat – I certainly didn’t; but oh snap if they didn’t achieve that dream in a bigger and more spectacular way than anyone could have realistically imagined.
Comic book and movie fans alike have been entertainingly blessed over the past 11 years, with 22 incredible action films, all interconnected in a way that has never been done before, culminating with the biggest ensemble cast ever assembled on the big screen.
It has been a truly heroic feat and kids born in 2008 who are enjoying this library of films today will never know the longing felt by their comic book loving ancestors, who could only dream of ever seeing their favorite heroes come to life in such an interconnected way.
The excitement and pleasure of seeing 50-plus years of comic-book fantasies realized at the movies is such an immense treasure that it brings one to tears (not me, mind you, but some — just sayin’); Avengers: Endgame is the perfect film to bring a close to this era.
If you’ve been a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, then you will already be going to this movie and soon; no matter what I say to you – have fun true-believers. If you are not a fan, then you seriously need to look in the mirror and ask yourself what is wrong with you. (I’m speaking to you specifically, Bill Maher.)
Not only am I not going to give anything at all away about the film here, I strongly encourage you to stay far away from trailers, reviews, the Internet, radio, television and anyone with loose lips – even if they are just speculating. Just do yourself a favor and go see the movie before it is spoiled for you.
As a kid from the ’60s who grew up on Marvel Comics (fostered by my Uncle Stan Lee), the magnitude and the audacity of this series of films is nothing short of amazing; and Avengers: Endgame, the series’ ultra-cool coup de grace, is a movie like we will never, ever experience again.
Avengers: Endgame review grade: 10/10
Photos Copyright © Marvel Studios 2019
- ‘Avenge the Fallen’: Endgame posters line up who’s mourning whom after Thanos’ ‘Snap’
- All roads lead back to Thanos as Avengers: Endgame tickets go on sale
- Avengers: Endgame clip addresses Captain Marvel’s long absence from Earth, teases possible path back to victory
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ press conference left empty chairs for ‘fallen’ characters
- SPOILER-FREE REVIEW: Avengers: Endgame – Oh snap
- West Valley drive-in movie theater is hosting an all-night ‘Avengers: Endgame’ movie showing
- When to take a bathroom break during the three-hour ‘Avengers: Endgame’
- Stop what you’re doing and Google ‘Thanos’ for a surprise
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ stars take on an ‘Avengers’ themed escape room
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ becomes highest-grossing film of all time