This week, Nintendo released a new video showcasing a wide variety of indie games coming to the Nintendo Switch system this year and next.
Highlights of the video include rogue-like dungeon crawler Hades, card-trick adventure game Card Shark and Raji: An Ancient Epic, an action-adventure game inspired by Hindu and Balinese mythology that launches for Nintendo Switch later today. The video also revealed a free two-player update for Untitled Goose Game that is headed to the slapstick-stealth-sandbox game on Sept. 23.
“The vast library of inspired indie games on Nintendo Switch is about to get even bigger,” said Steve Singer, Nintendo of America’s senior vice president for publisher and developer relations. “Thanks to the independent developers from around the world who have found their home on Nintendo Switch, the system continues to be a place where fans can enjoy an expanding and diverse library of indie games anytime and anywhere.”
Some of the highlights revealed in the video include:
- Hades from Supergiant Games: Hades is a god-like, rogue-like dungeon crawler that combines the best aspects of Supergiant’s critically acclaimed titles, from the fast-paced action of Bastion to the rich atmosphere and depth of Transistor. As the immortal Prince of the Underworld, players will wield the powers and mythic weapons of Olympus to break free from the clutches of the infamous god of the dead himself, while growing stronger and unraveling more of the story. Thousands of viable character builds and a fully voiced cast of colorful, larger-than-life characters ensure each and every escape attempt through the ever-shifting Underworld is unique. Hades will feature cross-saves with the PC version when the game comes to Nintendo Switch this fall. (Each version sold separately.)
- Raji: An Ancient Epic from Nodding Heads Games / Super.com: This intense action-adventure game is set in ancient India and inspired by Hindu and Balinese mythology. A young girl, chosen by the gods, stands against the demonic invasion of the human realm. Her destiny: Rescue her younger brother and face the mighty demon lord. Players will experience fluid combat and parkour while mastering divine weapons. Raji: An Ancient Epic launches later today on Nintendo Switch as a timed console exclusive.
- Spiritfarer from Thunder Lotus: As the Spiritfarer Stella, help the spirits of the deceased make their way into the afterlife by transporting them across the seas on a hand-crafted ferry. In this cozy management game featuring hand-drawn art and animations, players will befriend passengers, customize and improve their ferry and explore an imaginative world – or just go wherever the wind takes them. Spiritfarer makes its maiden voyage on Nintendo Switch later today.
- Untitled Goose Game from House House / Panic: What could be more troublesome than a horrible goose? Two horrible geese! A free two-player update for the popular slapstick-stealth-sandbox game will be available starting on Sept. 23. Untitled Goose Game will also be getting a physical release on Nintendo Switch, with more information revealed in the future. A Q&A with the developers of Untitled Goose Game will be hosted on the Indie World Twitter account on Aug. 20 from 1 to 2 p.m. PT.
- A Short Hike from Adam Robinson-Yu / Whippoorwill: Hike, climb and soar through the peaceful mountainside landscapes of Hawk Peak Provincial Park. A Short Hike is a game about players taking things at their own pace, choosing their own path and seeing where it leads them. Along the way, players will meet other hikers, discover hidden treasures and enjoy the beauty of the world. A Short Hike launches later today on Nintendo Switch as a timed console exclusive.
- Torchlight III from Perfect World Entertainment / Echtra Games, Inc.: Torchlight III is the light-hearted and fast-paced dungeon crawler sequel to the critically acclaimed action-RPG Torchlight II. In Torchlight III, it’s been a century since the events of Torchlight II, in which the great heroes of old defeated The Dark Alchemist. Now, Novastraia is threatened by invasion once again, and players must venture forth to defend the land against the evil Netherim and its allies. Torchlight III features all of Torchlight’s signature gameplay mechanics, including satisfying hack-and-slash combat, epic loot drops and, of course, the beloved pet system that captured the hearts of ARPG fans. This grand adventure also introduces new features, including fully customizable forts, unique Relic skills and a new end-game experience. Torchlight III will launch for Nintendo Switch this fall with an exclusive Red Fairy pet.
- Takeshi and Hiroshi from Oink Games Inc.: The worlds of stop-motion animation and RPGs combine in Takeshi and Hiroshi. As 14-year-old aspiring game designer Takeshi, the player’s goal is to entertain their little brother Hiroshi with the latest chapter of their game. Takeshi needs to improvise: While it’s his goal to let Hiroshi meet big challenges, he also wants to prevent him from losing. Takeshi and Hiroshi launches on Nintendo Switch later today.
- Hypnospace Outlaw from Tendershoot / Mike Lasch / ThatWhichIs Media / Xalavier Nelson Jr. / No More Robots: In this ’90s internet simulator, players will scour a wide variety of websites, add useful downloads to their desktop, dodge computer viruses and hunt down virtual villains as an Enforcer in the Hypnospace Patrol Department. Hypnospace Outlaw launches for Nintendo Switch on Aug. 27. The game will be available for pre-order in Nintendo eShop later today, with a free demo version also available to download.
- Card Shark from Nerial / Devolver Digital: Players will fleece and cheat their way to the top of 18th century French society in Card Shark, a stylishly illustrated adventure game that is all about playing your cards right. On their journey from table to table, players will need to build their repertoire of card tricks and carefully manage their ill-gotten gains as the stakes rise ever higher. But players must be cautious – if cheating is exposed, they’ll be gambling with their life. Card Shark arrives on Nintendo Switch in 2021.
- Manifold Garden from William Chyr Studio LLC: Set foot in a beautiful world filled with mind-bending puzzles in Manifold Garden, a game that reimagines the laws of physics. Geometry repeats infinitely in every direction, and falling down leads players back to where they started. In order to progress, players need to manipulate gravity to change their perspective and see the world in new ways. Manifold Garden launches on Nintendo Switch later today.
- Subnautica and Subnautica: Below Zero from Unknown Worlds Entertainment: In Subnautica, players discover the depths of a vast alien underwater world by collecting resources, crafting underwater structures and outsmarting wildlife to uncover the mystery of the planet they crash-landed on. For explorers seeking a frozen adventure, the sequel Subnautica: Below Zero will have divers trying to survive the icy biomes of planet 4546B. Subnautica and Subnautica: Below Zero will both launch on Nintendo Switch in 2021.
- Garden Story from Picogram / Rose City Games: Garden Story invites players into a wholesome and delightful world where they’ll rebuild the community as Concord, the newly appointed Guardian of the Grove. Traverse a vibrant island to combat invasive Rot, cultivate fruity friendships, gather precious resources, restore buildings and rebuild your home. Garden Story will bloom on Nintendo Switch in 2021.
- Evergate from Stone Lantern Games / PQube Limited: Evergate is a dream-like 2D puzzle-platformer set in the afterlife, in which players control Ki, a child-like spirit on a journey through life, death, space and time. The innovative Soulflame mechanic grants the power to slow down time, and gives players great flexibility in how they choose to navigate this beautiful yet haunting world. Evergate launches on Nintendo Switch later today.
- Bear and Breakfast from Gummy Cat Studio / Armor Games Studios: In Bear and Breakfast, a laid-back management adventure game, players take on the role of Hank, a well-meaning bear trying to turn an abandoned shack into a successful B&B. As the business expands, so do the mysteries of the forest, and soon Hank will find himself uncovering a plot deeper than the wilderness itself. Bear and Breakfast combines building, management and exploration elements with deep customization and side quests galore. The game launches on Nintendo Switch in 2021 as a timed console exclusive.
The Indie World presentation also included quick highlights of yet more indie games coming to Nintendo Switch, including INMOST from Hidden Layer Games / Chucklefish (Aug. 21), The Red Lantern from Timberline Studios and She Dreams Elsewhere from Studio Zevere, which are both coming soon.
More upcoming video game releases and deals:
|Lies of P||Sept. 19, 2023||PS4/5, PC, XBSX/S, Xbox One||Action RPG|
|Detective Pikachu Returns||Oct. 6, 2023||NS||Adventure|
|Marvel’s Spider-Man 2||Oct. 20, 2023||PS5||Action|
|Super Mario Bros. Wonder||Oct. 20, 2023||NS||Platformer|
|WarioWare: Move It!||Nov. 3, 2023||NS||Minigames|
|Super Mario RPG||Nov. 17, 2023||NS||RPG|
|Atari 2600+||Nov. 17, 2023||Atari||Retro gaming hardware|
|Mario vs. Donkey Kong||Feb. 16, 2024||NS||Game Boy Advance remaster|
|Final Fantasy VII Rebirth||Feb. 29, 2024||PS5||RPG remake|
|Princess Peach: Showtime!||March 22, 2024||NS||Action-adventure|
|Contra: Operation Galuga||Early 2024||NS, PC (Steam), PS4, Xbox One||Run-n-gun action|
|Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD||Summer 2024||NS||Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon remaster|
|Star Wars Outlaws||2024||PS5, XBSX/S, PC||Open world adventure|
|Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door||2024||NS||RPG remake|
Nerdvana may earn a small share of sales made via links from this article.
Nerdvana may earn a small share of sales made via links from this article.