Nintendo sold more systems last than any other video game manufacturer, according to an independent report, moving more than 10 million Wiis and just under that many DS handhelds in 2008. That surpasses the 2007 unit sales record of 8.5 million for the DS.
In 2008, Wii sales represented 55 percent of all next-gen console sales and the DS 72 percent of all portables.
“Our type of entertainment has now moved to the point where there is no longer a question that if you offer consumers an expanded definition of what a video game can be, and deliver that idea with quality and affordability in mind, millions of new people will start playing video games,” Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of sales and marketing, said in a statement. “Concepts like Wii Fit, Guitar Hero, and Rock Band never would have seemed feasible just a few years ago, and now they’re driving growth for the entire industry.”
NPD data released for December and all of 2008 also included the following:
• The industry’s top 4 selling games of 2008 were: Wii Play at No. 1, Mario Kart Wii at No. 2, Wii Fit at No.3, and Super Smash Brothers Brawl at No. 4
• Industry annual revenues jumped 19% in 2008 over 2007, and Nintendo products were responsible for 99% of those additional retail dollars.
• Nintendo DS set another industry record for system sales in any month, with 3.04 million units sold in December.
• Wii broke its own monthly record, set in December 2007, by selling 2.14 million units last month.
• In December, Nintendo titles filled 20 of the top 30 spots on the best-seller list. Six games made for Nintendo systems placed in the top 10, including Wii Music for Wii (No. 9), which has now sold 865,000 units following its launch in October 2008, and Mario Kart DS for the Nintendo DS (No. 7), which has sold a total of 4.3 million units 38 months after launch.
• Activision’s Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock and Guitar Hero World Tour, and MTV Games/EA’s Rock Band Special Edition Bundle all sold more units on Nintendo platforms than any other platforms in 2008.
• More 3rd party units were sold for Wii than any other home consoles in December for the 2nd consecutive month.
• For the year, more than 132 million games were sold in America for play on Nintendo systems.
SPECIAL THANKS ARE IN ORDER:
Discuss Literary Adventures at the Facebook group 'For the Love of All Things Edgar Rice Burroughs.'Trademarks TARZAN®, TARZAN OF THE APES®, JOHN CARTER OF MARS®, DEJAH THORIS®, PELLUCIDAR®, A PRINCESS OF MARS® and EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS® are owned by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.