Konami will release an multiplayer racing game this July on Nintendo’s WiiWare online service.
Driift is a fast-paced racer that allows up to eight players to race each other, using cartoon-style cars.
Featuring twelve different tracks based on four themed environments – cityscape, hills, snow and a desert oasis – players can also select one of 32 vehicles from four categories. Each category is tailored for use within the different environments, with variations of speed, acceleration and handling and grip levels making specific vehicles ideal for particular locations.
Driift’s multiplayer modes allow users to play using combinations of Wii Remotes, Nunchucks and Classic Controllers, and seven game modes are on offer. These range from the single-player and multiplayer championships, and Team Race, wherein participants are divided into two teams, with the winner determined by those that accrue the most points. The VIP mode elects one player per team as a VIP vehicle, who must be protected at all costs from the opposition cars, with the removal of the VIP car resulting in a win for the attacking team.
Driift also uses ‘Contamination’ where a player is marked contagious and must contaminate very other player within a set period, while the ‘Cold Potato’ mode charges the user with collecting said vegetable and holding on to it for as long as possible! Finally, the ‘Meteorite’ option sees players embarking on a normal race, while trying to avoid a series of meteors as they fall from the sky.
“We established our European development studio to create games for mobile phone devices. After a successful start and positive, high-value products, they are now moving to other formats, too,” commented Martin Schneider, European marketing and PR director for Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH. “This WiiWare title offers a new approach in a more traditional console business and we are looking forward to this download title and further contributions from our European development studio.”
- Driift is a top view racing game exclusively for WiiWare
- Driift will allow 8 players to play simultaneously and on the same screen (local multiplayer)
- using Wii Remotes with additional Nunchuks and Classic Controllers (GC Controller not supported)
- Target territories: Europe, US, Australia & New Zealand
- 34 different vehicles divided into 4 car categories – each with its own characteristics (speed, acceleration, grip, etc.)
- 12 different tracks (3 per environment: City, Snow, Hills, Oasis)
- Game contains one Singleplayer Championship and 6 different Multiplayer modes:
1. Multiplayer Championship (free customization of races and car categories)
2. Team Race (participants are divided into two teams, with the winner determined by those that accrue the most points)
3. VIP (elects one player per team as a VIP vehicle, who must be protected at all costs)
4. Contamination (a player is marked contagious and must contaminate every other player within a set period)
5. Cold Potatoes (charges the user with collecting said vegetable and holding on to it for as long as possible)
6. Meteorite (normal race, while trying to avoid a series of meteors as they fall from the sky)
SPECIAL THANKS ARE IN ORDER:
Discuss Literary Adventures at the Facebook group 'For the Love of All Things Edgar Rice Burroughs.'Trademarks TARZAN®, TARZAN OF THE APES®, JOHN CARTER OF MARS®, DEJAH THORIS®, PELLUCIDAR®, A PRINCESS OF MARS® and EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS® are owned by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.