The as-yet-untitled film is being written and directed by Rian Johnson and begins principal photography next month in London.
Episode VIII delayed? Yes, it was originally scheduled for May 26, 2017 — but then, The Force Awakens was pushed back from a summer release to a winter release, so this development just tracks with that. Chill out, doomsayers! With Rogue One: A Star Wars Story still set (for now) for a Dec. 16, 2016, release, it just means more annual holiday Star Wars goodness for all.
Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, which had been set for July 2017, benefits from the Episode VIII delay by moving up to the May 26 slot it leaves behind. Yo, ho ho!
More from Nerdvana:
- ‘That’s a wrap’: Last Jedi director teases end of post-production
- Star Wars: Episode VIII filming half done
- In case you didn’t get enough of Rey and Luke staring at each other …
- Leia: Princess of Alderaan — a bright time for the Rebellion …
- Kylo Ren’s ship revealed: TIE Silencer targets Resistance traitors