50 years of Konami
Anniversary collections bring arcade, Castlevania, Contra classics back on consoles and PC
From jukeboxes to arcade machines to some of console gaming’s most iconic titles, Konami is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. They will mark the occasion with a series of video game collections for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC and Nintendo Switch.
The first collection, Arcade Classics, came out April 18, 2019, as a digital release for $20. Included are eight arcade classics: Haunted Castle, Typhoon (A-Jax), Nemesis (Gradius), Vulcan Venture (Gradius II), Life Force (Salamander), Thunder Cross, Scramble and TwinBee. There’s also a free bonus ebook with interviews and behind-the-scenes content, some of which has never been seen publicly.
On April 18, Konami revealed the promised Castlevania Anniversary Collection’s contents and a May 16 release date at $19.99:
• Castlevania (Nintendo Entertainment System)
• Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse(NES)
• Super Castlevania IV (Super NES)
• Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (Game Boy)
• Castlevania The Adventure (Game Boy)
• Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest (NES)
• Castlevania Bloodlines (Sega Genesis)
• Kid Dracula (Famicom/NES – Japan only)
Also coming in early summer, the Contra Anniversary Collection will include the NES’ Contra, the arcade’s Super Contra and the Super NES’ Super C and Contra III: The Alien Wars — plus four more mystery games and a bonus ebook.
What I want to know is … will the Konami code still work?