Lucasfilm announced Tuesday that the untitled Han Solo film is “moving forward” — without celebrated co-directors Christopher Miller and Phil Lord.
“Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented filmmakers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it’s become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we’ve decided to part ways. A new director will be announced soon,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm.
Variety sources reveal that the directors were basically fired by Kennedy after significant conflicts in work style with her and co-writer/executive producer Lawrence Kasdan.
Known for The LEGO Movie and 21 Jump Street, the former directors stated: “Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren’t fans of the phrase ‘creative differences’ but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew.”
Rumors are, of course, flying like the Kessel Run, but Deadline puts George Lucas protege Ron Howard and Kasdan at the top of the list of replacements. Less than a month of filming, plus planned re-shoots, remains.
Despite the shakeup, Lucasfilm said the Star Wars spinoff was on track for a May 2018 release. We shall see. The film stars — for now — Alden Ehrenreich, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, Thandie Newton, Michael K. Williams and Woody Harrelson.
More Han Solo movie coverage on Nerdvana
- Comical characters Tag and Bink confirmed to appear in Han Solo movie
- Han Solo movie’s Lando, Donald Glover, wins 1st Emmy Awards
- Ron Howard takes over as director of Star Wars’ Han Solo spinoff movie
- Han Solo film loses its directors over ‘creative differences’
- Michael Kenneth Williams joins cast of Han Solo Star Wars spinoff
- New photo expands cast of Han Solo standalone Star Wars film
- Woody Harrelson joins cast of young Han Solo film
- Emilia Clarke joins Han Solo cast
- Donald Glover cast as Lando in Han Solo movie – for real
- That time Star Wars went full Magnificent Seven
- Alden Ehrenreich is young Han Solo
- Han Solo director teases ‘shoot’