- Check out what big bad Ultron (and a couple other guys you may have heard of) will look like in The Avengers: Age of Ultron, on the cover of this week’s “Comic-Con Preview” edition of Entertainment Weekly. (They’ve got a few other photos, too.)
- Marvel says Thor in the comics will be replaced by a woman who will take up Mjolnir as well as the name Thor itself. The news broke on The View. This guy isn’t buying it.
- This is how Archie will die.
- The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles meet … The Ghostbusters?
- Amazon is working on an e-book subscription service. “Kindle Unlimited” memberships would offer more than a half-million titles for $9.99 per month, according to materials that leaked online. Gigaom reports.
- Guess which stocks are worth more: video game companies or major media studios? The Hollywood Reporter has the answer.
- Classic Doctor Who comes to Retro TV on Aug. 4. The 1963 series premiere, “An Unearthly Child,” will kick things off; you can expect two episodes back to back at 8 p.m. Eastern and Pacific on weeknights. More at Doctor Who News.
- U.S. viewers tuning in for “Deep Breath,” the premiere of Doctor Who’s eighth current series, can set their DVRs and reminders for 8 p.m. Eastern on BBC America, Doctor Who News reports.
High fantasy — twice as nice:
- There are two movies about J.R.R. Tolkien in production. The Hollywood Reporter looks at each endeavor.
- There are two documentaries about Dungeons & Dragons in the works as well. The Verge examines how one film about the roleplaying game that is celebrating its 40th anniversary split in two.
In case you missed it — recent Nerdvana headlines:
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER