Phoenix Comicon organizers updated me on a whole bunch of comics-related guests this weekend:
- Billy Tucci, the writer, filmmaker and illustrator best known for his title character Shi.
- Joe Corroney, an official Star Wars artist known for his work on Lucasfilm books, games, trading cards, comic books, posters and magazines.
- Joe Jusko, a cover illustrator who has worked with nearly every major comic book publisher, best known for his depictions of the Hulk and the Punisher for Marvel Comics.
- Mark Texeira, a classically trained painter turned comic artist with contributing work in Jonah Hex, Spider-Man: Legacy of Evil and Wolverine.
- Michael Golden, the artist with classic titles like The Micronauts, Rogue and Bucky O’Hare to his name.
- Stan Sakai, the creator and nearly-sole artist of Usagi Yojimbo.
- The Eisner Award winner David Lapham, known for his work on his comic book Stray Bullets and Avatar Press’ Crossed: Family Values.
- Billy Martinez, the publisher, artist, and creator celebrated for Princess Cassandra Du Charme in Wildflower and his most recent series, Kickass Girl.
- Renee Witterstaetter, a regular comic book industry celebrity with projects such as Superman, Silver Surfer, Conan the Barbarian and She-Hulk under her belt.
Con organizers say that they’ve also taken attendee feedback to heart and made a number of improvements, including expanded exhibitor hall and registration space that ensures all lines are inside air-conditioned buildings, a streamlined registration system, and a longer preview day.
Phoenix Comicon takes place over Memorial Day Weekend at the downtown Phoenix Convention Center.