Nerdvana’s Newsletter is a roundup of weekend news and recent Nerdvana headlines.
- Steve Dillon, comic book artist and co-creator of Preacher, has died. Gizmodo/io9
Sad to confirm the death of Steve, my big brother and my hero. He passed away in the city he loved (NYC). He will be sorely missed. Cheers x
— glyn dillon (@glyn_dillon) October 22, 2016
Besides Preacher, Hellblazer and Punisher, Dillon is known for contributing some pretty memorable comics to Doctor Who Magazine. Doctor Who News
- Speaking of Doctor Who, the new young-adult spinoff Class has premiered across the pond, and press reactions are starting to come in (so far, so good). Why exactly do we Yanks have to wait until 2017, again?
- Telecommunications giant AT&T is buying Time Warner for nearly $90 billion, seeking to become a content company. A lot of content: DC Comics, Warner Bros., CNN, HBO, Cartoon Network, Hanna-Barbera … that’s just for starters. The Wall Street Journal
- The AT&T-Time Warner deal still faces regulatory hurdles. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, in nearly the same breath as damning government regulation in general, says he’ll kill the deal if elected. Los Angeles Times
- Holy Chimichanga! Deadpool director Tim Miller is out of the sequel over creative differences with leading man Ryan Reynolds. Variety
- Wondering how that massive cyberattack that took out much of the web on Friday went down? “It’s coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE!” Recode
- The United Nations has made Wonder Woman an official ambassador for gender equality and girl power. Not everybody’s happy about it. Comic Book Resources
- Chris Pine is a busy guy. In addition to playing Captain Kirk and
second fiddleSteve Trevor to Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman, he’s going to be in Disney’s adaptation of Madeleine L’Engle’s Wrinkle in Time. Ava DuVernay is directing the film, which also stars Jennifer Lee, Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon and Mindy Kaling. Deadline
In case you missed it:
Nintendo unveiled their new home console in a three-minute video Thursday. Here’s what we know about Switch, formerly known as NX.
- “Lando System?” The untitled Han Solo movie has cast its young Lando Calrissian: Donald Glover. Read our full report.
- Musical Marvel movie trailers: Last week we got rockin’ first-look trailers for both Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Logan.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is less than a month away! The Wizarding World has a lot more in store — read Amanda Keim’s latest report.
Looking for something to do?
Check out the upgraded Nerdvana calendar of events and Arizona convention listings. Just around the corner: Samurai Comics Phoenix’s Halloween Comicfest (Oct. 29), Tucson Comic Con (Nov. 6-8), TusCon (Nov. 11-13), Kikori Con (Nov. 11-13, Flagstaff) and YumaCon (Nov. 12). We’re also proud to partner with the new Arizona Game Fair, Jan. 21-22 at the Mesa Convention Center; check them out.
Don’t miss a thing!
SPECIAL THANKS ARE IN ORDER:
Discuss Literary Adventures at the Facebook group 'For the Love of All Things Edgar Rice Burroughs'