Wow, what a whirlwind of a day!
The first panel of Day 3 was The Clone Wars Season 5 panel. Some awesome information was shared and they showed some amazing clips:
- Expect to see the planet Onderon. It’s a Roman-inspired planet, with surrounding jungles. In a clip featuring Ahsoka and Lux, it was revealed that Lux is actually from Onderon (not Raxus); the clip featured some Avatar-esque aerial battles!
- Another clip gave us our first glimpse into Anakin’s room at the Jedi Temple. Some nods to Luke’s room in A New Hope; plus, look for the Ben Quadinaros Easter Egg (finally!). Anakin and Obi-Wan get in a heated discussion about Padme and Anakin’s relationship with her. Drama!
- There is another droid-centric episode, featuring R2-D2, a Pit Droid named Wack and several new characters. Clip featured the droids getting caught in a beautifully animated comet shower (very Star Tours-esque).
- A mysterious bearded Clone Commando makes an appearance! While his story is still a mystery, one of the clips showed him fighting with R2’s droid buddies against some battle droids.
- Season 5 introduces Mustafar, Black Sun (YES!) and the Falleen! While we won’t be seeing Prince Xizor (according to supervising director, Dave Filoni), a clip did reveal Darth Maul, Savage Opress and the Mandalorian terrorist organization, Death Watch, holding a meeting with the Falleen leaders on Mustafar – can’t wait to see how that turns out!
- Some concept art showing a new Kessel mining species, the Pike, was revealed – so, we might be seeing Kessel this season!
- Final clip: Mandalorian warrior, Bo Katan, rescues Obi-Wan Kenobi from other Mandos with some majorly kick-ass moves!
Then, GEORGE LUCAS HIMSELF SHOWED UP ON THE PANEL! There had been some rumblings on Twitter, at the start of this panel, that he was roaming the convention center, but it was completely unexpected…needless to say, the place went ape-crap!
Once everyone calmed down, Dave Filoni asked George about the return of Darth Maul. From what I gathered (I was a little awe-struck), George said he just had an affinity for the character and was not quite done with him yet. Then Dave showed George (for the first time), the three-minute Season 5 trailer. IT WAS EPIC! This show keeps getting better and better, folks! I won’t reveal too much, but it’s clear that Death Watch, Satine, Darth Maul, Savage Opress, Anakin’s anger issues and Asajj Ventress will take center stage. Also, it looked like Maul might end up with his own, horned version of a Mando helmet and armor (!) and we might even see Level 1313 (the Coruscant level featured prominently in the new video game of the same name). Lastly (and a little spoilery) audiences were treated to some major new Darth Sidious action…he has an EPIC looking, DUAL lightsaber battle with none other than Darth Maul AND Savage Opress! Looks like the master needs to show his apprentices who’s boss!
Still shaking from the adrenaline overload from all the awesomeness of The Clone Wars and George Lucas’ appearance, I made my way to the Star Wars in 3D panel. Attendees were treated with Celebration VI exclusive 3D glasses and had the chance to see the first ever footage of Episode II: Attack of the Clones in 3D, due out next year. You won’t be disappointed, people! This is some of the best 3D I’ve ever seen. Get excited!
After a bunch of author signings and celebrity photo taking, I headed to James Arnold Taylor’s one-man show, Talking to Myself. This guy is amazingly talented. He talked about what it’s like to be a voice actor and, in the process, showcased scores of (if not 100+) voices, impressions and impersonations. He ended the hour-long set with an inspiring message about never giving up on your dreams (he had been diagnosed with severe laryngitis after black mold exposure, putting his voice acting career on hold for several years). An awesome person, with awesome talent and a huge heart.
This went straight into the Carrie Fisher panel, Date with a Princess. God bless this woman. She is fearless, hysterical, dry, witty, sarcastic, kind – she’s the perfect combination of irreverent and gracious. If you followed my Twitter feed, you were treated to some of her more colorful quotes and entertaining moments from the night, but here are some highlights in case you missed them:
- George, trying to explain Alderaan’s destruction to her: “They just blew up all your friends, your clothes, your step-father…your Troll doll collection.”
- On Peter Cushing smelling like violets: “He was playing this evil man, but he smelled like a gay man.”
- “I don’t have the possibility to be a Jedi, I AM a Jedi.”
- She wants to see the Star Wars Holiday Special remixed into a rap song (she also actually sang the Life Day song!).
- She wants Leia to have a magenta colored “lite”saber: “It’d be dietetic AND will kill your enemies.”
- Audience member: “I love you, Carrie!” Carrie: “Thank you, darling, I know.”
- “There should be a Star Wars porno…I’ll talk to some people.”
- “I don’t like writing, I like having written.”
- She compared the Sarlacc Pit to “Sand Genitals.”
- The scene where Han, Leia, Chewie and the droids land on Cloud City and meet Lando? Yeah, Harrison Ford and Carrie were totally hammered during the filming of that scene, after a night of hard partying with the Rolling Stones.
- When asked if she would return for more Star Wars movies, if asked? “Completely.”
Another AMAZING day at Star Wars Celebration VI. One day left. What could happen next?!