Second Fridays are usually a special affair in downtown Mesa these days, but today promises to be more out-of-this-world than ever before with the theme “Sci-Fi Friday.” It all takes place 6 to 10 p.m. on the main drag — here’s a brief rundown of what you can expect:
- Main Street from Robson to MacDonald will be transformed into a Victorian alley enhanced with gadgets and rayguns as Evermore Nevermore, Mystic Paper and downtown Mesa present “Steampunk Street II.”
- The Nile Theatre will host a performance of the steampunk-themed band Future Kind.
- There will also be a sci-fi fashion show at the Nile.
- Zombies will walk. Or shamble.
- Costumes are encouraged — and will be judged!
- OneOhOne Gallery will host an Improbable Invention Competition, as well as a free screening of the locally filmed monster movie Sacrifice.
- Evermore Nevermore will showcase a “Dark Side: Star Wars” exhibit.
- Local arts anthology Restless has prepared a special steampunk-themed issue to be distributed at the event.
Also happening in the neighborhood:
- Gotham City Comics & Coffee is holding its grand opening celebration.
- Cheech Marin’s got some paintings he wants you to see.