MESA’S 2ND FRIDAY HELPS CELEBRATE NERDVANA WITH GEEKY ART WALK EVENTS
Downtown Mesa’s 2ND Friday in August Hosts Pop Culture & Genre Themed Celebration
August 6, 2012, MESA, AZ. – This August for downtown Mesa’s 2ND Friday festival, the valley’s most amazing section of Main Street will play host to the 5TH anniversary celebration of the East Valley Tribune’s Nerdvana blog. And like the online resource for all things nerdy, this art walk event will have something for the eccentric in everyone.
Whether you want to check out local technology projects, enjoy a great cult film, have fun competing in strategy games, or you just want to meet and greet local comic-book artistic talent, 2ND Friday’s NERDVANACON themed event has something for you. Mesa’s 2ND Friday always offers fun entertainment, live music, dining, art and unique shopping opportunities – and the featured events for August will include:
- Buckaroo Banzai free movie screening sponsored by Bookmans Entertainment Exchange and hosted by the Dr. Diabolic Show. Show starts at 9:30 PM and seating is limited, so please arrive early at the OneOhOne Gallery (101 West Main Street, Mesa.)
- Genre themed discussion panels hosted by the OneOhOne Gallery include:
- 6:00 PM ~ How to Draw Sheriff Joe – A comic-art workshop presented by Russ Kazmierczak, Jr. of Amazing Arizona Comics.
- 6:30 PM ~ Video Game and Sci-Fi Armor: From Concept to Reality – Prop & costume creation presented by professional prop-artist/creator Allen Amis.
- 7:00 PM ~ Intro to Concept Art & Digital Painting – Anabel Martinez shows how anyone can get started painting awesome fantasy and sci-fi artwork.
- 7:30 PM ~ Voyage Trekkers – Q&A with the Voyage Trekkers, creators of this local comedy web series that follows the exploits of the worst crew in the Galactic Union.
- Science & Technology demonstrations and displays at HeatSync Labs.
- Costume contests at the OneOhOne Gallery at 8:00 PM with prizes awarded by local merchants & restaurants.
- Strategy gaming event presented by Vul-Con and hosted by Queen’s Pizzeria.
A Pop Culture Artist Corner will be hosted by Monsterland, where themed artisans will be vending their wares in a creepy corner of the haunted venue. Monsterland will also hold a Cosplay Costume Contest.
Mesa’s 2nd Friday is the winner of the 2010 New Times “Best of Phoenix – Block Party” and was nominated for the 2011 “Best Arts Festival!” 2nd Friday brings thousands of people together for an evening of fun, food and entertainment as they experience the local culture and creativity of historic downtown Mesa.
If you would like more information about the NERDVANACON pop culture events, please contact Bob Leeper at BlackWing@evermorenevermore.
SPECIAL THANKS ARE IN ORDER:
Discuss Literary Adventures at the Facebook group 'For the Love of All Things Edgar Rice Burroughs.'