Just months after releasing the 1st Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons core rulebooks in premium reprint editions, Wizards of the Coast is announcing that the Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Edition core books will get the same treatment this fall.
Set for a Sept. 18 release, the Player’s Handbook, Dungeon Master’s Guide and Monster Manual will have new cover artwork and incorporate the latest errata updates for the defunct but still popular 3.5.
The announcement from WotC, a division of Hasbro, doesn’t mention whether the books will be limited edition, only available at hobby retailers or partially support a cause like the Gary Gygax memorial — all of which were the case for the 1st Edition reprints. They also omitted pricing information from the announcement.
With Paizo’s Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, which is based on 3.5’s open-source rules, remaining popular and giving WotC’s own 4th Edition of D&D a run for its money, it will be interesting to see if the company is committing here to providing Dungeons & Dragons fans whatever kind of play experience they desire — something they hinted at in announcing the upcoming 5th Edition earlier this year.
What I want to know is this: Why did they skip over 2nd Edition AD&D?
Read WotC’s full statement below.
Earlier this year, we announced the release of the 1st Edition core rulebook premium reprints. And now, we’re further pleased to offer 3.5 Edition Core Rulebook premium reprints releasing this September!
On sale September 18, these 3.5 Edition premium reprints feature new covers and the latest errata — so, be sure to pick yours up at your friendly local book or gaming store!
- The Player’s Handbook has all the rules players need to create characters, select equipment, and engage in combat with a variety of supernatural and mythical foes.
- The Dungeon Master’s Guide provides the DM with advice, guidelines, and everything he or she needs to create challenges, adventures, and full-fledged D&D campaigns, including sections on prestige classes, magic items, and character rewards.
- The Monster Manual contains material that players and DMs alike will find useful. With hundreds of monsters to populate all levels of dungeons, this tome also includes monster creation rules, information on playing monsters as characters, details on monster tactics, and powered-up versions of standard creatures.
Together, these three volumes comprise the core rules for the 3.5 Edition of the Dungeons & Dragons game!
Also, please be sure to take this brief survey administered by SurveyGizmo, to tell us if you have other favorite content from v.3.5 that you’d like to see made available again. Click here to complete the survey.
Jayson Peters is the creator of Nerdvana.
More about D&D and RPGs on Nerdvana:
- 5E is coming: Fans will help shape new edition of Dungeons & Dragons game
- AD&D 1st Edition premium reprints to help build Gary Gygax memorial
- Nerdvana update: 1d12 months of 2012
- Five awkward roleplaying games to make you feel better about yourself
- CopperCon 32: Early savings and guests announced
- RPG news out of Gen Con: D&D, Pathfinder and more
- Fantasy Flight Games gets Star Wars license, announces X-Wing minis and Rebellion card game
- D&D on the downslide?
- From Ignite Phoenix 10: Beyond Dungeons & Dragons
- Gamer gets the girl
- Required Reading: Whither (or wither) D&D?
- Watch the D&D episode of ‘Community’ online
- D&D goes prime time – but is it too late?
- Nerdvana Rewind: A free D&D adventure aimed at children
- Nerdvana Rewind: Monster Manual set to music
- There’s a new D&D video game on the way — and a movie, too
- Review: D&D’s new Red Box is adventure reborn
- CNN: D&D tries to lure back players
- ‘Dungeon Masters’ doc is frought with perilous pathos
- The D&D-aspora continues
- RPG giant ditches ‘Star Wars,’ re-launches ‘Gamma World’
- No dice: Inmate loses appeal over prison’s D&D ban
SPECIAL THANKS ARE IN ORDER:
Discuss Literary Adventures at the Facebook group 'For the Love of All Things Edgar Rice Burroughs.'Trademarks TARZAN®, TARZAN OF THE APES®, JOHN CARTER OF MARS®, DEJAH THORIS®, PELLUCIDAR®, A PRINCESS OF MARS® and EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS® are owned by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.