CopperCon, the science fiction convention planned for Sept. 2-5 at Avondale’s Hilton Garden Inn, will hold a charity auction to benefit the Literacy Volunteers of Maricopa County.
LVMC is a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching those 16 and older how to read, write and speak English and prepare for the GED. The group depends on grants, corporate donations and gifts to operate — and they need volunteers.
The auction includes many first editions. Here’s a partial list of the items on the block:
- Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert. Book club edition, copyright 1969.
- I am Spock by Leonard Nimoy. Hardcover, first edition, copyright 1995.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling. Hardcover, first edition, copyright 2003.
- The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner. Trade paperback, new reprint, copyright 1972, reprint by BenBella with coverart by Bob Eggleton, 2003.
- Worldbinder, book 6 of The Runelords by David Farland. Hardcover, first edition, copyright 2007.
- The Man with the Golden Torc by Simon R. Green. Hardcover, first edition, copyright 2007. Publisher review letter is laid-in.
- Regeneration by Julie Czerneda. Hardcover, first edition, copyright 2006. Publisher review letter is laid-in.
- War of Honor by David Weber. Hardcover, first edition, copyright 2002. Autographed.
- Star Trek, The Collectibles by Steve Kelly. A large softcover book that depicts and prices ST collectibles items. Copyright 2008, signed by the author.
- Gold-colored unicorn pendant on approx. 24″ chain. Pendant measures approx. 1.5×1.75″.
- Pewter-look seahorse pendant on approx. 18″ chain. Seahorse measures approx. 1.5″x.75″.
- DareDevil comic character lunchbox, new with thermos. Autographed by Brian Bendis, writer on the series.
- “The New Teen Titans” comicbook, No. 9, copyright 1981. Autographed by Marv Wolfman.
- Soft brown leather drawstring pouch, measures approx. 9″x5″
- Harry Potter collectible figure by Enesco. Measures approx. 4.5″ x 2.75″ x 2″. It is a “storyteller” figure, no. rr5/358, with a viewmaster-type disk inside.
- Bead bracelet with the word “Write”, expands from 6″ to 7″.
- Vintage African Trade Beads necklace on twine, circa 18th century. Measures approx. 26″.
- Specimen A-4372 from the Miskatonic University lab. We think it’s the funeral box from the Tomb of Uman-Ra.
- Axis & Allies boardgame Booster Pack with 9 miniatures.
- “Darkness” a playstation game print, copyright 2006. It measures approx. 8-1/2″ x 11″ and is suitable for framing.
- Robotech model. Unknown origin, probably a giveaway from a fast-food restaurant.
- Bag of 18 movie buttons including Starship Troopers, Deep Impact and The Shadow.
Extra special stuff:
- Framed picture of three voice artists from Steven Spielberg Presents Animaniacs, signed by all three: Jess Harnell, Tress MacNeille and Rob Paulsen. Picture measures approx. 8″x10″.
CopperCon guests this year include Carrie Vaughan (the Kitty Norville series, Voices of Dragons, Discord’s Apple) and local author Janni Lee Simner (Bones of Faerie, Thief Eyes, Secret of the Three Treasures). Other program highlights include a short story contest, live-action RPGs, a masquerade contest, the dealer room, filk singing, art and writing workshops for kids and dozens of discussion panels relating to writing, literature, film, science and more.
Registration is $35 for the weekend until April 30. Children ages 7-12 are half-price and children 6 and younger are admitted free.