Too big? Too slow to embrace e-book technology? Whatever the cause, the long-expected bankruptcy of the Borders bookstore chain will result in the closure of eight Arizona locations this year:
- 1361 S. Alma School Road, Mesa — This longtime Borders location near Fiesta Mall was a shell of its former self anyway, having been scaled back considerably in size and selection over the years. A frequent stop for me on trips to the optometrist.
- 870 N. 54th St., Chandler — Off Ray Road between Interstate 10 and 56th Street.
- 2402 E. Camelback Road, Phoenix — When you think of Borders in the Valley, this is the location that comes to mind, in the Biltmore Fashion Park next to the Cheesecake Factory.
- 4555 E. Cactus Road, Phoenix — Across the street from Paradise Valley Mall.
- 7135 E. Camelback Road, Scottsdale — Across the street from Scottsdale Fashion Square.
- 7000 E. Mayo Blvd., Scottsdale — Near Scottsdale Road and Loop 101, in the same lot as the Harkins Cine Capri.
- 10100 W. McDowell Road, Avondale— Near the intersection of Loop 101 and I-10.
- 4235 N. Oracle Road, Tucson — Catty-corner from Tucson Mall.
A story in the East Valley Tribune last month looked at the fallout from a Borders collapse and its effect on the Valley’s smaller, independent booksellers.